August 4-6, 2016 (Updates in the coming weeks)
Thanks to our generous supporters!
On the Grounds
of Ash Lawn-Highland
James Monroe, our fifth president, and his family called Highland their home for nearly 25 years. Under a later owner, the name of the Monroe plantation was changed from “Highland” to “Ash Lawn”; today both names are used. Ash Lawn-Highland was opened for public visitation in 1931 by philanthropist Jay Winston Johns and his wife Helen Lambert Johns. Upon his death in late 1974, Mr. Johns bequeathed Ash Lawn-Highland to the College of William and Mary, Monroe’s alma mater. For nearly 40 years, the College has fulfilled Mr. Johns’s request to “operate this property as a historic shrine for the education of the general public.”